How to Get Involved in the Truckee/Tahoe Community
If you are a newcomer to the Tahoe community, we want to be one of the first to welcome you to our humble mountain abode! We’re so happy to have you, and now that you’re here, we want to be your guide on how to get involved and feel a part of this incredible community. Here in Tahoe, we look out for one another. You’ll always find your neighbor, ski lift buddy or fellow hiker is ready and willing to lend a helping hand and share advice. So, here are some ways to get informed and up to speed on the Tahoe lifestyle:
Online Resources to Get Informed
- Read through the Community Collaborative Issue Brief that was put together by Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation. Here you’ll discover community demographics, health and education resources.
- Get educated on how the Town of Truckee is working to Keep Truckee Green and how you can get involved. Plus, you’ll find helpful tips on trash pickup, what can be accepted at the local dump and so much more.
- Attend Truckee Town Hall meetings so you can speak out on issues facing the town.
- Text your zip code to Nixle at “888777” for mobile alerts on traffic, weather and suspicious activity
- It snows here (a lot!) and accidents happen. Follow @CHP_Truckee on Twitter for the latest and greatest updates. They do an awesome job of updating the community in “real-time”
For more welcome wagon resources or answers to specific questions, visit the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation page.
This place matters. Show your love for your new community by getting involved and volunteering your time with a local non-profit. Not sure where to start? The Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation is a great way to learn about key community initiatives.
- Dog lovers can donate time or dollars to the local Humane Society
- Support local young women through the Queen of Hearts Women’s Fund. Sally and Katie are already members!
- Support nonprofits and local collaborations serving our environment through the Nature Fund
- Get involved in the Shane McConkey Eco Challenge where young students participate in projects to protect our environment first hand.
Community events are coming back and they’re a great way to meet your neighbors! Here are some of our favorite happenings:
Truckee Thursdays are coming back this summer! Once a month (July 15, August 12, Sept 9), main street in Downtown Truckee shuts down to car traffic and is open for pedestrians to check out local artisan made goods, connect with local businesses and enjoy local food truck vendors with tasty bites and treats. This is a great way to support local businesses, catch up with friends, new and old, listen to live music and enjoy a cold beer. https://chamber.truckee.com/events/details/truckee-thursdays-summer-street-festival-tentative-47251
Farmer’s Markets are back and available in communities around North Lake Tahoe. Shop local produce every week this summer and get creative with your summer BBQs and dishes:
- Truckee: Tuesdays from May 11 - Oct 19 from 8am-1pm at Truckee Regional Park
- Tahoe City: Thursdays from May 13 - Oct 7 from 8am-1pm at Commons Beach
Connect With Us
Our community is growing and we’re so happy to have you join us in supporting local businesses and keeping our backyard clean. If you’d like to sit down and chat over a coffee or glass of wine, please reach out to us at email@example.com. See you on the trails this summer!